Clarias spp Catfish Post Fingerlings
The Clarias spp. is very good for commercial fish production. It is good for new farmers not very good at managing the simple fingerling Clarias spp. The post fingerling is raised up till the 5th or 6th month. It attains a weight of 1 kg at maturity. The post fingerlings are usually 6 to 8cm in length.
It is also very good for processing into smoked fish, dry fish etc.
- It adapts easily to a wide variety of environment and is very tolerant of extreme water conditions.
- Post fingerlings have weight size of between 4 – 6 grams.
- Feeding is done once or twice daily
- Feed size is 1.8mm feed size.
The Clarias spp catfish post-fingerlings In feeding, the bigger your fishes, the bigger the feed size they can pick. Although there is a recommended feed size of 1.8mm to feed your post fingerlings.
Reducing Post-fingerlings catfish mortality
- The use of earthen ponds, surface tanks, plastic tanks etc. by Catfish farmers has the higher probability of getting exposed easily to high mortality rates while raising them.
- It is necessary to take utmost steps and care in managing the fragility of the post fingerlings fishes, so as to attain high production and profit rate.
- In anticipation to stock your post fingerlings, a neccessary 250kg of lime must be applied per acre of fish pond.
- Often make sure that the pond is kept very clean.
- Other unwanted particles/organisms must be cleared before stocking the pond.
- You should also note that fingerlings are very vulnerable, this in turn brings about the highest mortality rates during the period.
- Try not to also over stock your fish pond. This increases the level of high mortality as well.
- As it is well known that especially the Clarias spp is canibalistic in nature (prey on flesh), therefore make sure that during the process of stocking the fingerlings, it must be effectively sorted out on weekly basis by stocking the same size of fishes together. Again, fingerlings of similar sizes must be stocked into smaller tanks before transferring them to the key grow-out pond.
- Try not to always overfeed your fingerlings, so as not to encounter high level of mortality rate.
- Clarias spp. post-fingerlings sometimes have uncontrollable appetite, which may result in their overfeeding and this comes with death.
- Because of the process of transferring the post fingerling from one location to another, there is possibility of stress for the catfish. Therefore, such post-fingerlings should be left for at the least 24 hours before feeding.
Feeding Your Clarias spp Catfish Post Fingerlings
The way you feed your fishes depends on several number of factors. Although an average of 1.5kg to 2kg fish size in 6 months is okay.
Post-fingerlings (4 – 6 grams): once or twice daily.