Detroit Dark Red Beetroot Seeds
This is an excellent standard improved open-pollinated variety and a well-adapted seed variety. Detroit Beetroot is a root vegetable from the Royal Seeds Company. It produces a lot of fruit with good heat tolerance for tropical regions like Nigeria.
Characteristics of Detroit Beetroot
- Globe fruit shape.
- Open-pollinated variety.
- Uniform dark red fruit colour.
- Good Heat tolerance.
- Prolific fruit producer.
- Matures 60 – 65 days from transplanting.
Benefits of Beetroot
- Cut the risk of heart disease by lowering blood pressure
- Promote weight loss by reducing appetite
- May improve athletics performance
- Increase stamina and boost oxygen use
- Reduce kidney inflammation
- Promote digestive health
How to grow beetroot in your garden
- Beetroot is an easy vegetable to grow. Hardy, durable, and not particularly fussy, beetroot is ideal for both first-time and experienced gardeners.
- It is a fairly easy crop to grow as long as the soil is well cultivated prior to planting. They don’t enjoy wet, boggy or shady soils.
- Plant in full sun with space seedlings of 10-15 cm apart and rows 20 cm-30 cm apart so they have room to grow during transplanting.
- Water plants thoroughly before planting and allow them to drain.
- Dig a hole, approximately twice the depth and width of the root ball of your plant.
- Gently loosen the root ball of your plant and position the plant in the centre of the hole.
- Press the soil gently around the base of the plant.
- Water your plant well.
- Beetroot needs phosphorus to develop, if there is too much nitrogen there will be plenty of foliage but not a lot of root development.
- Well-watered, well-nourished beetroot will have a better chance of keeping insect pests and diseases at bay.
- Regularly apply a dose of tonic to give them a welcome boost.
- Harvest when the beetroot is the size you like to eat.
- Dig them gently out of the soil, harvesting at separate intervals down the rows to allow smaller beets to develop.