Nodumax Legume Inoculant – IITA
NoduMax is a new legume inoculation technology developed at the IITA Business Incubation Platform. It is made to solve the issue of low productivity of most legume crops such as beans and soybeans.
Active Ingredient: Bradyrhizobium japonicum strain USDA 110 at a density of at least 1 billion live cells per gram of inoculant.
Nodumax is a peat based inoculant ensuring that soybean’s symbiotic rhizobium bacteria are present, resulting in improved root nodulation and high rates of biological nitrogen fixation (BNF).
It contains the industry-standard strain USDA 110 and includes a gum Arabic adhesive and user instructions. Packed in 100 g packets sufficient for 10 to 15 kg soybean seeds.
NoduMax is applied to soybean seed just before planting. Seeds inoculated per ha, result in yield increase of about 350 kg per ha.
Benefits of Nodumax
- NoduMax is intended for soybean crops so that they are better able to access nitrogen from the air.
- It is inexpensive.
- The product can increase yield by 30 % to 45 % on average.
- It is affordable and environmentally safe.
- NoduMax 100 g package, is enough to inoculate 10 kg of seed and will plant 0.25 ha.
User Instruction of Nodumax Legume Inoculant – IITA
- First the gum arabic adhesive is dissolved into 300ml of clean and warm water.
- Apply it to 10 to 15 kg of soybean seed, mixed to coat the seed exterior.
- Add 100g of Nodumax to seeds and mix until the inoculant appears as a fine brown powder uniformly distributed upon the seeds.
- Cover the inoculated seeds with a cloth and allow the sticker to set for 10 minutes.
- Seeds should be planted shortly after application into a moist bed and protected from direct sunlight.
- This is referred to as the two-step method and results in the most uniform distribution on the seeds.
- An alternative, simpler method involves mixing the inoculant to the adhesive solution, and then applying them to the seeds but this technique tends to clump.