Maize Hybrid Seeds Variety (SC 510) -2kg is a variety maize seeds from Seedco with a 3-way hybrid and have their parents from the largely successful maize revolution varieties of Zimbabwe/South Africa. As such, they have a high yield, disease resistance, high standability, and Nitrogen use efficiency.
Maize Hybrid Seeds Variety (SC 510) -2kg have been selling in Nigeria, and have good tonnage per hectare as well as good disease resistant characteristics, which make them better than some varieties available to farmers in the country.
Maize farming in Nigeria is practiced in all the geopolitical zones of the country. There are maize farmers in Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Abuja, Plateau, Nasarawa, Imo, Anambra. Kano, Kebbi, Kaduna, and all states in the country.
Hybrid Maize Cultivation Guide (1 Hectare)
Below is the protocol or plan to be used in the cultivation of hybrid maize. Please note that the fertilization application rate can be amended to fit your soil profile. The pesticide application rate can also vary.
- 10 days before land preparation, spray a mixture of 4 liters of Glyphosate and 4 sachets of Emamectin benzoate per hectare. Wait for 10 days.
- 2 weeks before planting, do land tillage with Plough and harrow twice or ridge depending on land condition.
- Wait for 2 weeks to allow for weed regrowth for good effect of the pre-emergence herbicides at planting time.
- At this stage, you can add rice husks, manure or any soil amendment materials to your soil to increase the Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC).
- At planting, plant seeds at 75cm (inter-row spacing) by 20cm (intra-row spacing) (66,000 plants/ha), 75cm by 25cm (53,000 plants/ha)
- Apply 15 bags of NPK 15:15:15 or 11 bags of NPK 20:10:10 (220 kg N / ha) or 12 bags of NPK 15:15:15 or 9 bags of 20:10:10 (180 kg N / ha).
- Spray a mixture of 4 liters of paraquat, 4 liters of atrazine, and 4 sachets of Emamectin benzoate not later than the next day of planting.
- Please agrochemicals should not be sprayed in the hot afternoon for effectiveness.
- The seed should be planted at a depth of 5cm along the row while the fertilizer should be placed 5cm beside each planted seed and 5cm deeper than the seed depth.
- 1 week after planting, gap filling should be done for few missing spots to ensure the right plant population and weed control is done after planting should be confirmed if it was effective, areas showing weed growth should be reported at the observation.
- 2 weeks after planting, spray 4 sachets of Emamectin benzoate per hectare for prevention and/or control of armyworms or insect attack.
- 4 weeks after planting, first urea application of 2.5 bags for (220 kg N/ha) or 2 bags for (180 kg N/ha).
- Ensure fertilizer is buried beside the plants to prevent wastage.
- Spray 4 sachets of Emamectin benzoate per hectare for any deposited eggs and to prevent resistance by the armyworms.
- 6 weeks after planting, second urea application: 2.5 bags for (220 kg N / ha) or 2 bags for (180 kg N / ha).
- Spray 4 liters of Lambdacyalothrin per hectare for any visible armyworms.
- All urea applications should be applied from 4 weeks after planting for large acreages without splitting to maximize cost.
- 8 weeks after planting, post-emergence application: Spray 4 liters of paraquat per hectare, for proper weed control; this can be done before 8 weeks depending on the severity of weeds present.
- Ensure that there are no weeds in the field before fertilizer application.
- Potassium Humate is advised to be mixed to all fertilizers before application. All fertilizers must be buried during application.
- Also, note that Lagon herbicide has been the best type of herbicide used for maize farming in Nigeria.
- All agrochemicals mentioned above are active ingredients that can be gotten in different trade names.