Red King F1 Onion Seeds
Red King is a superior hybrid seed from Royal Seeds Company. It produces uniform globe bulb onion with good pungency.
Characteristics of Red King F1 Onion Seeds:
- A short very strong plant with a narrow neck
- Very uniform globe bulb shape
- Bright red-violet coloured skin with good pungency
- Dark/deep red scales and white flesh develops into dark red rings once cured
- Excellent for fresh market and salads
- Shelf life up to 6 months
- Maturity 90 days after transplanting
- Yield potential 25 – 30 tonnes per acre
Benefits of Onions
- Red onions are rich in anthocyanins, which are powerful plant pigments that may protect against heart disease such as high blood pressure, elevated triglyceride levels.
- It is also used for other skin conditions and to prevent cancer.
- Reduce lung tightness in people with asthma.
- Onion is most commonly used for scarring.
- It also reduces levels of cholesterol and sugar in the blood.
- Onions are low in calories yet high in nutrients, including vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium.
Growing Onions Seeds
- Planting onion seeds can take more time, so germinate your seeds indoors first to get the process going: Onion plants grow well in raised beds or raised rows at least 4 inches high.
- Start them indoors about 6 weeks before you plan to transplant them to the garden.
- Select a location with full sun, the more energy they can get from the sunlight, the larger their bulbs can grow.
- At planting time, add about an inch of compost to the bottom of each row before planting.
- Fertilize every few weeks with nitrogen to get big bulbs. Cease fertilizing when the onions push the soil away and the bulbing process has started.
- Once bulbs have started to develop, mulch with a light ½-inch layer of straw.
- Pull any onions that send up flower stalks; this means that the bulbs have stopped growing. These onions will not store well but can be used in recipes within a few days.
Other Onion seeds can be found Here