Darina cucumber hybrid seeds is one of the most productive cucumber seeds available in the market. The matured fruits of Darina F1 are usually deep green in color with a big size and cylindrical shape. This variety has predominantly female flowers and may not necessarily need bees for pollination.
Darina F1 cucumber seeds can be planted all year round in all locations within tropical environmental conditions including Nigeria. That means you can as well plant this variety in the rainy season and in the dry season.
Due to its hybrid nature, this variety of cucumber seeds is also very tolerant and resistant to a number of diseases and pests like the mosaic virus from cucumber and powdery mildew.
Characteristics Of Darina F1 Cucumber Seed
- Darina F1 grows with very large leaves, which makes the variety very efficient in the use of sunlight for photosynthesis. This makes the plants manufacture more food and lead to better yield and revenue.
- Darina F1 has a vigorous growth habit. The plant can grow as high as 12 ft if staked. it is important to stake the cucumber on the farm to achieve the best results.
- The fruits produced by Darina F1 are super dark green, and this color quality commands better prices especially in most parts of Nigeria.
- Darina F1 matures faster in hot climate
- Resistance to cucumber vein yellow virus
- Resistance to cucumber scab disease
- Resistance to cucumber mosaic virus
- Resistance to powdery mildew
Benefits Of Planting Darina F1 Cucumber Seeds
- You can harvest up to 500-800 bags of cucumbers from one acre of farmland (4,000 square meters) using Darina F1 variety.
- A bag of cucumber weighs 40-45kg.
- The dark green colour of the Darina F1 cucumber fruits appeals to buyers in the Nigerian market which commands a very high price as compared to other varieties.
- Darina F1 has a thick fruit wall, which makes it stay fresh for a very long time. Darina F1 fruits can stay fresh for more than 7 days if well kept.
- The maturity time of this variety of cucumber is relatively short. You can start harvesting at 40 days. This can enable you to recover your investment in quick time.
- You can grow this variety anywhere in Nigeria.
- It has good resistance and tolerance to a lot of diseases and pests.
Growing Hybrid Cucumber Darina
- Proper land preparation should be done to break hardpans.
- The use of farm manure and compost can be applied during land preparation.
- A spacing of 90cm by 45cm is recommended.
- Recommended sowing depth 1 cm
Seed Usage Per Acre 10,000 seeds
Temperature range for Growth 22-30 degree
Optimal soil type Well drained loam, sandy soil not heavy clays
Soil PH 6-6.8
- Basic support consisting of posts and running wire where the plants are attached using strings can be used.
- The plant should be trained to have 1 or a few branches for maximum production.
- Supporting reduces disease infestation and also improve the quality of fruits.
Adequate irrigation is necessary during planting as inadequate moisture can result in poor germination.
- Apply DAP during planting
- Topdressing with CAN at week 3-4.
- N:P:K at flowering.
- Weekly application of N:P:K for at least 3 weeks after flowering will give the best results.
- The addition of high Calcium and potassium fertilizer during the fruit production period should be done to improve the quality of fruits.
Pests and diseases
- Common diseases are gummy stem blight, gray mold, downy mildew, powdery mildew, cucumber mosaic, watermelon mosaic, and Pythium root rot.
- Major pests are leaf miners, melon flies, whiteflies, aphids, thrips, and mites.
- For Control, practice crop rotation and use appropriate pesticides and fungicides for pests and diseases respectively.
- Harvest cucumbers very early in the morning and at the right time to avoid loss of flavor.
- Pick at least once after every two days.