Day Old White Cockerel Chicks
Cockerels are raised for meat. They take six months to one year to fully mature, depending on the quality of management provided.
The difference between black and white cockerels is not really much, but it is believed that the black cockerels are more disease resistant, most preferred by consumers, and convert feed better than the white cockerels.
The farmer prefers to rear cockerel than broiler because of low cost and lesser susceptibility to disease compared to broiler production. Cockerels are raised in both urban and rural areas.
Benefit of Cockerel
- At maturity it can reach market weight of 3-4kg.
- The meat is tasty and well-accepted
- There is no taboo against eating of the meat
- It can be raised on small and large-scale.
- Cockerel is hardy and less susceptible to disease compared to other poultry
- It can be raised under intensive and semi-intensive system of production.
- The meat is low in fat and cholesterol compared to broiler’s meat
- Day old cockerel could be easily sourced
- It is a good source of animal protein and it is of high biological value.
- Its marketing is all year round and not seasonal.