Red Creole Onion 100g (Pop Vriend)
Red Creole Onion is an heavy yielding standard variety of onion for the tropics. It possess a very good firmness fruit, pungent and of good storage ability.
Onion is of short-day open-pollinated seeds. It is produced by an Pop Vriend, an international seed company based in the Netherlands.
Characteristics Of Red Creole Onion 100g (Pop Vriend)
- Well adapted to the tropic climatic conditions
- Matures 130 to 190 days from transplanting
- Bulbs are thick flat shapes and medium size
- Yield potential of 25 to 30 mt per ha
- Good storage quality
- Deep red colour
- Early germination
Benefits Of Onion
- Red onions are rich in anthocyanins, which are powerful plant pigments that may protect against heart disease such as high blood pressure, elevated triglyceride levels.
- It is also used for other skin conditions and to prevent cancer.
- Reduce lung tightness in people with asthma.
- Onion is most commonly used for scarring.
- It also reduces levels of cholesterol and sugar in the blood.
- Onions are low in calories yet high in nutrients, including vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium.
Growing Onions Seeds
- Planting onion seeds can take more time, so germinate your seeds indoors first to get the process going: Onion plants grow well in raised beds or raised rows at least 4 inches high.
- Start them indoors about 6 weeks before you plan to transplant them to the garden.
- Select a location with full sun, the more energy they can get from the sunlight, the larger their bulbs can grow.
- At planting time, add about an inch of compost to the bottom of each row before planting.
- Fertilize every few weeks with nitrogen to get big bulbs. Cease fertilizing when the onions push the soil away and the bulbing process has started.
- Once bulbs have started to develop, mulch with a light ½-inch layer of straw.
- Pull any onions that send up flower stalks; this means that the bulbs have stopped growing. These onions will not store well but can be used in recipes within a few days.
Note: Planting Guide in planting Red Creole Onion Seeds (Pop Vriend)
- Planting distances within row should be 5-10cm.
- Planting distances between rows should be 30-45cm.
- The average planting Depth should be 2.5cm.
- Optimum pH is around 6.0 to 6.8.
- The preferred soil type is free-draining friable loam.
- Crop rotation is necessary.
Click Here for more onion seeds