Dekalb Maize Hybrid Seeds (White) -2kg is a high-yielding, drought-tolerant hybrid maize variety that is well-adapted to the Southern and Northern Guinea Savanna ecologies of Nigeria. It has a yield potential of 13 tonnes per hectare and is tolerant to maize streak virus, rust, and Striga hermonthica. The seeds are white and have a slightly sweet taste
The Dekalb Maize (White) -2kg is a determinate variety, which means that it will only grow to a certain height and then stop. This makes it a good choice for areas with limited space. The seeds are resistant to rust, Striga, and Blight Diseases, which are some of the most common diseases that affect maize in Nigeria.
With proper care, you can expect to harvest a good yield of maize from the Dekalb Maize (White) -2kg. The yield will depend on factors such as the soil quality, the amount of rainfall, and the level of care that you provide.
Benefits/Importance of Dekalb Maize
- This variety can yield over 13 tons per hectare. This has been confirmed in controlled trials.
- It has a high grain yield.
- It has resistance to striga, rust, and blight diseases.
- It has a good maturity time.
- This hybrid corn variety can be grown in the dry season and the rainy season in Nigeria.
- DK234 maize variety can also be grown in the rain forest, Guinea savanna, Sudan savanna, and Sahel savanna belts of Nigeria.
Steps on how to plant Dekalb Maize Hybrid seeds
- Plough, harrow, and ridge your farmland.
- Apply glyphosate to kill the weeds from the roots.
- Do not plant until after a few days after the application of glyphosate.
- Plant one DK234 maize seed per hole. The intra-row spacing should be 25cm while the inter-row spacing should be 75cm.
- Apply lagon herbicide immediately after planting the seeds or not later than 2 days after seeding.
- Apply fertilizers and pesticides as advised by your agronomist. You may need to apply 3-4 bags of urea fertilizer and 3-4 bags of NPK fertilizers per hectare.
- Apply belt expert and decis insecticides to guard against armyworms.
- Harvest when the cobs are dry.
- Use a Sheller to shell the maize seeds from the cobs.
One of the biggest advantages of White Dekalb maize is its high yield potential. In controlled trials, these seeds have produced yields of over 13 tons per hectare. This makes them a very profitable option for farmers.
White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are also resistant to a number of diseases, including maize streak virus, rust, and striga. This makes them a good choice for farmers who are growing maize in areas where these diseases are prevalent.
White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are also adaptable to a variety of growing conditions. They can be grown in the dry season, the rainy season, and in a variety of soil types. This makes them a good choice for farmers in all parts of Nigeria.
Here are some of the specific benefits of planting White Dekalb maize in Nigeria:
– High yield potential: White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds have a yield potential of over 13 tons per hectare.
– Disease resistance: White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are resistant to a number of diseases, including maize streak virus, rust, and striga.
– Adaptability: White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are adaptable to a variety of growing conditions, including the dry season, the rainy season, and a variety of soil types.
– Profitability: White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are a very profitable option for farmers due to their high yield potential and resistance to diseases.
If you are a farmer in Nigeria and you are looking for a high-yielding, disease-resistant, and adaptable maize hybrid seed, then White Dekalb maize hybrid seeds are a great option to consider.
Check SC 719 Maize Hybrid Seeds