Melon Seeds (Egusi) – 2kg
Egusi seeds also known as bitter apple fruits. They are cholesterol-free and rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants and minerals, and possess superior medicinal and nutritional benefits. This is native to Africa, Asia, Arab, and some Mediterranean countries.
People in Asia and the Middle East use egusi plants, fruits, and seeds to treat a variety of conditions including intestinal disorders, bacterial infections, jaundice, asthma, and diabetes.
However, melon seeds is a staple food in Nigeria and many other West African countries like Ghana, Togo, and Cameroon.
The studies that exist show it is a source of several essential micronutrients and polyphenolic compounds that prevent certain chronic diseases.
Health Benefits of Melon Seeds (Egusi)
- Prevents diabetes: Diabetes occurs when your body is unable to respond to insulin (the hormone that lowers blood sugar) and/or when it is unable to produce sufficient insulin. The melon seed capsules lowered HbA1C and fasting blood glucose levels after two months.
- Lowers lipid levels: High blood levels of lipids (fat, cholesterol, and triglycerides) in your blood can increase your risk of heart disease. Ground melon seeds lowers triglyceride and cholesterol levels in patients with high blood lipid levels.
- Prevents bacterial infections: Extracts from melon plants, fruits, and seeds prevent bacterial infections. Melon seed contain active chemicals that kill common bacteria like Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Salmonella typhimurium. I.e The extracts are as effective as the antibiotic drug.
- Source of antioxidants: Antioxidants are an essential component of your diet because they neutralize harmful several free-radicals that cause diseases like cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and heart disease. They are typically present in fruits, and melon seed is no exception.
- Stimulates hair growth: Melon seed extracts are used in Ayurvedic medicine for hair growth. These extracts are effective in increasing the number of hair follicles in animal studies.
Melon seed is a rich source of protein and omega-6 fatty acids Similar to most plant oils, it mainly contains unsaturated fatty acids. Its seed oil is a good source of natural antioxidants like vitamin E and ß-carotene.
Melon seed is a good source of potassium and calcium, minerals that regulate blood pressure. It is also a rich source of magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.