Hot And Sweet Pepper…
Did you know that almost everyone eats pepper? Pepper is an excellent source of antioxidant. It is the world’s second important vegetable, ranking after tomatoes. In a country like Nigeria where the average diet is dominated by carbohydrate foods, pepper is an essential source of vitamins and minerals.
The Capsicum family, which comprises both sweet and spicily hot peppers, commonly known as chilli peppers, encompasses all varieties of peppers.
Benefits of Hot And Sweet Pepper
- Reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration
- Protect against certain chronic diseases
- Delay age-related memory loss
- Reduce the likelihood of anaemia
- Promotes a healthy heart
- Mitigates migraines
- Relieves joint pain
- Improves metabolism
- Fights the Flu, Colds and Fungal Infections
- Prevents bad breath
Top 21 Hot And Sweet Pepper Varieties To Grow In Nigeria
1. Efia F1 Hybrid Habanero Hot Pepper
Efia F1 hybrid hot pepper from East-West Seeds company is a highly nutritious product with an attractive aromatic taste. The seeds are packed in 10-gram. They are very productive with strong plant vigour and high fruit set. Efia F1 is the typical Hanabero pepper (also called “Rodo” by the Yorubas). It an intermediate and resistance to Mosaic Virus.
The health benefit is that it contain some substances that are essential against ulcers. They also serve as anti-irritants to the alimentary tract. Efia F1 Hybrid Habanero Hot Pepper can be planted in all seasons
See more: Efia habanero hot pepper
2. Caribean Red Habanero
The Caribbean Red Habanero is one of the hottest habanero varieties. This pepper is roughly twice as fiery as a regular orange Habanero. Full sun, warm temperatures (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 60 degrees at night) and well-drained soil are ideal for these peppers. They thrive in the pH range of 6.0 to 6.8 and withstand acidic soil.
Maturity: 80-100 days
Quantity Size: 10g
Mode of cultivation: Open field
Even a small garden can readily accommodate this sort of plant. Within 80 to 100 days of sowing, this fast-growing bush produces delicious fruits. Habanero pepper plants in the Caribbean produce a lot of fruit. Fruit can be collected at two stages: immature green and fully developed red. The Caribbean Red pepper plant can reach mature heights of 30 inches and widths of 15 inches with adequate maintenance.
See more: Caribean red pepper.
3. Piquante F1 Habanero Hot Pepper
This hot pepper is super hot and preferred by the Nigerian market especially. It is also used by processors and sauce makers because of its high hot taste, aroma and excellent flavour. The fruits are bigger and bright red when mature and light green when immature.
The Piquante Red F1 Habanero hot pepper hybrid variety seed commonly known as (Ata Rodo) is a product of the East-West Seed International. It is a highly nutritious product with an attractive aromatic taste. It has a maturity span of between 75 to 80 days
See more: Piquente hot pepper.
4. Big Sun Hot Pepper
This is a chinese hot pepper that give better results during the hot season. Its hot, aromatic taste and regularity suit high quality demand in markets.
- Benefits the Digestive Tract
- Promotes a Healthy Heart
- Mitigates Migraines
- Relieves Joint Pain
- Improves Metabolism
- Quells Psoriasis
- Reduces Cancer Risk
- Fights the Flu, Colds and Fungal Infections
- Prevents Bad Breath
- Prevents Allergies
See more: Big sun hot pepper.
5. Etna F1 Hybrid Hot Pepper
Etna F1 is a variety of hot pepper that produces bright red fruits in clusters. It takes about 50 to 60days to reach maturity and is resistant to common diseases including; tobacco mosaic virus and nematodes. Soil with a PH ranging from between 5.6 and 7.5 is suitable for planting Etna F1 hot pepper.
Health Benefit of Hot Pepper Seeds
Digestive system: Hot peppers contain some substances that are essential against ulcers. They also serve as anti-irritants to the alimentary tract. Hot peppers contain trace amounts of antioxidants and other chemicals that reduce digestive issues such as, healing an upset stomach, curing diarrhoea and acting as a natural remedy for cramps.
Healthy heart: It also improves the circulatory system and prevents heart disease by lowering blood serum cholesterol, reducing lipid deposits. Consumption of hot peppers can also lead to dilatation of blood vessels to aid in blood flow.
Reduction of cancer risks: Capsaicin in red hot peppers is both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant allowing hot peppers to fight cancers.
See more: Etna hot pepper.
6. Hyffae F1 Hot Pepper
It’s an excellent variety to grow at home or farm, as they can be quite expensive when purchased at the supermarket. Quantity in a pack is 1000 seeds. Good for greenhouse, net house and open field. Maturity: 65-70 days,
Fruit size: 10-15 x 180-200 mm diameter | 15-20 cm length. Yields is 18 tons/acre and resistances to Virus.
See more: Hot pepper hyffae.
7. Caribean Yellow Habanero Hot Pepper
The Caribbean yellow habanero hot pepper is one of the hottest versions of the habanero. With the typical citrusy-smoky flavor of yellow habaneros and twice the heat, this variety is a perfect addition to a pot of soup, and they make killer hot sauce.
In spite of its fierce, intense heat, it has a wonderful, distinctive flavor with tropical fruit tones that mix well with food containing tropical fruits, soups, or tomatoes. It even grows nicely in both hot and cool climates, either in an open field or in a greenhouse.
As the plants have a particularly long maturation period (95 – 110 days), it may be preferable to grow them in a pot, so that you can easily bring the plants inside when the temperature falls below 12°C during the day, allowing all the fruits to ripen.
See more: Caribean yellow habanero.
8. Super Habanero F1 Hot Pepper
Super Habanero pepper is used in professional agriculture because of its exceptionally high and early yield. It’s disease resistant is to notch, and crop quality remains high. Habanero Super F1 produces numerous Kg fruits per m2 under ideal conditions. The 5 x 5 cm fruits are of exceptional quality and have a long shelf life. The fruit weighs 18g.
Maturity date:90 days
Qty/sachet: 1000 seeds
Good for Greenhouse and open field variety with strong vigour and long shelf life.
See more: Super habanero.
9. Lengai RZ F1 Habanero pepper
Lengai RZ F1 hybrid is a hot aromatic habanero pepper variety developed at Rijk Zwaan with amazing fruit yield. It is treated with Bio-Stimulants which aid rapid germination energy, increased fruit quality and advanced ripening. Lengai RZ F1 Habanero pepper grows best in warm weather but can also be planted during the rainy.
- For outdoor and indoor production
- Good uniformity and vigour
- Nice red colour when mature
- Fruit shape slightly blocky
- Average length of fruits : 4.5 cm
- Average weight of fruits : 13 gr
- Aromatic, high pungency
- Maturity in days after transplanting : 50 – 55
- Adapted for long cycles
- Good continuation
- Early variety with high yield
See more: Lengai habanero pepper.
10. Kori F1 Red Bell Pepper
Kori F1 is a sweet red hybrid bell pepper from Royal Seed Company. It is a hybrid seed that is a tender, warm-season crop with a long growing season. Seed is resistant to common related diseases.
Characteristics Of Kori F1 Bell Pepper
- Very good fruit setting
- Matures 75 days from transplanting
- Fruit weight: 180 – 190 grams
- Yield potential: 8 tonnes per acre
- Compact leaves and rapid internodes growth
- Long shelf life
- Ideal for greenhouse
- Green fruits turn to deep red fruits rapidly
- Resistances/ Tolerances: Tobacco Mosaic Virus (L3) and Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus
See more: Kori pepper.
11. Superbell F1 Sweet Pepper
Sweet pepper Superbell F1 is magnificent in appearance with a deep blocky shape. Under favourable growing conditions, the sweet pepper has a tender, smooth skin with an elongated deep skin.
The Sweet Pepper maintains fruit size under stressful growing conditions. This variety is ideal for growing under protected culture in the greenhouse or under shade net and also for outdoor production for harvesting at green stage.
- Indeterminate hybrid variety ideal for outdoor production
- Medium tall, erect plant with good vigour and cover
- Medium tall, compact indeterminate plant with dark green leaves
- Fruits are deep blocky (4 lobes) with smooth skin and thick walls
- Very uniform fruit size and shape
- Average fruit weight is approximately 170-200 gms
- Maturity: harvesting start 70 days from transplant with continuous fruit setting.
- Yield potential: 20-25 tons / acre
- Excellent tolerance TOBAMO viruses, pepper mild mottle virus, Potato virus Y
See more: Super-bell.
12. Espartano F1 Hybrid Sweet Pepper
It is a sweet pepper variety that is suitable for both indoor/greenhouse and outdoor crops. They have big blocky fruits sizes, nice shiny yellow colour, very smooth and large. It is also very adaptable for cultivation in the rainy and post-rainy season with strong growing heavy fruits.
- Type: Blocky
- Fruit colour: Yellow
- Disease resistance: (HR / IR) Intermediate tolerance to YVMV
- Fruit SIze: 11*12cm
- Package: 5g | 500 seeds | 1000 seeds
- Maturity: First harvesting starts 42 – 45 days from sowing
- High resistance: Tobacco Mosaic Virus.
- Under protection(Greenhouse) and open field..
Open field: 20,000 – 30 000 plants per hectare . Under protection: 2 – 2.3 stems per m².
See more: Espartano sweet pepper.
13. Mekong F1 sweet Pepper
Mekong F1 Sweet Pepper Seed is an outstanding hybrid that grows into a healthy, tall pepper plant with a good collection of dark green, blocky fruits. It’s suitable for tropical conditions and an intermediate susceptibility to bacterial spots.
Mekong F1: Features
- The variety has a solid growth with very good fruit set/collection.
- The fruit has an appealing dark green colour and is square in form.
- The fruits have a firm and dense wall.
- The seeds are uniform.
- You can harvest 60 – 70 days after sowing.
- It is immune to bacterial spots and some adverse environmental conditions.
See more: Mekong f1.
14. Yolo wonder Sweet pepper
Sweet Pepper Yolo Wonder is a very disease resistant variety of bell pepper that is related to the famous Bell Pepper variety California Wonder. The 2ft compact plants with dense foliage produce an abundance of sweet and crunchy, emerald colored thick walled bell peppers that mature to a beautiful scarlet red. Tolerant to tobacco-mosaic. 70-75 days.
Cultivation Advice Sweet Pepper Yolo Wonder
- Days to Germination: 10-21
- Optimum Soil Temp. for Germination: 65 to 70F
- Days To Harvest: 70-75 days
- Planting Depth: 1/8 inch
- Spacing, Seed: 1 inches
- Spacing, Plant: 15-20 inches
- Light: Full Sun, Warm location, Greenhouse, Conservatory
Sow seeds 1/4″ deep in 3in pots with quality seed compost. Keep moist. Seedlings emerge in 10-21 days at 65-70degrees F.
Transplant to individual containers when seedlings have at least two pairs of leaves.
When 4-5 inches plant 15-20″ apart in greenhouse / conservatory with root ball 1/2″ below the soil surface.
Keep moist and feed when flowering with tomato type fertiliser. Harvest when fruits have reached full-size and full colour.
See more: Yolo wonder sweet pepper.
15. California Wonder Sweet Pepper
The California Wonder pepper is a bell pepper variety from Jubaili. It is a variety that is widely adapted that produces very sturdy frames that are easy to grow and produces well-formed, juicy, crunchy, large pepper fruits. This pepper variety is very popular, and much preferred by many commercial farmers and home gardners.
- Seed type: Open-pollinated
- Packaging size: 10g/25g
- Fruit size: 3-4 inches
- Edible type: Vegetable
- Sunlight: about 6 hours
- Spacing: 12 – 15″ (30 – 38cm)
- Seed rate: 1 – 1.5
- Maturity days: 75 days (after transplanting)
- Average yield: 15 – 20 t/ha.
See more: California wonder sweet pepper.
16. Ganga Sweet Pepper
Ganga sweet pepper is a variety of East-West Seeds with a high yield. The Plant is very vigorous and when it matures, its fruits appear bell-shaped with thick walls. The fruits have a very dark green colour.
Product Features of Ganga Sweet Pepper Seeds
- Dark green, bell-shaped fruits
- Packaging size: 5g
- Minimum germination Rate: 85%
- Germination Rate: 95%
- Treated Seeds (Non-hybrid).
- It can be raised for both in the greenhouse and open field.
See more: Ganga sweet pepper.
17. Jupiter Sweet Pepper
It’s an open-pollinated blocky pepper turning red at maturity. It’s a medium early, consistently high-yielding variety which produces large, very blocky fruits.
The fruits are predominantly four-lobed and are well-covered by the medium strong plant. The fruits have a medium thick wall. The average fruit weight is 170 grams.
Jupiter is recommended for open field production and green picking.
Earliness: Medium early
Maturity: 76 days
- Medium strong
- Dense canopy
- Good cover
- Good fruit-setting
- Very blocky
- Predominantly 4-lobed
- Medium thick walled
- Average size 11 x 11 cm
- Medium dark green turning red at maturity
Average Fruit weight: 170 grams
Disease Resistance: Tobamovirus (Tm1)
Uniform very blocky fruit. Proved variety for consistent high yields of large, well-shaped fruits. Standard variety in many markets world-wide
See more: Jupiter sweet pepper.
18. Nirmanda F1 Hybrid Sweet Pepper
Nirmada F1 (Sweet pepper) can be planted in both rainy and dry season conveniently and highly resistant to diseases.
It is medium to strong in vigor with a compact plant habit; easy fruit set ability resulting in high yield. Fruits are very blocky in shape, predominantly four lobed. Fruit color is medium green turning to attractive shiny yellow in its mature stage.
- It has large leaves, fruits that are blocky.
- Tall pepper plant
- Sleek, dark green colour and, when mature, turn yellow.
- It is an early hybrid of tall robust trees
- Quantity pack: 1000 seeds
- Colour: Yellow, green
- Item Type: sweet pepper
See more: Nirmanda sweet pepper.
19. Red Jet Sweet Pepper
Red Jet Pepper Seeds is a hybrid red sweet Pepper variety developed by Rijk Zwaan. It can be cultivated both on an open field and in greenhouses and it is a compact early maturing plant that has a good fruit setting under hot conditions. It can be planted in both rainy and dry season.
- Red blocky pepper suitable for green harvest
- Excellent resistance pattern
- Easy fruit setting variety
- Very good plant coverage in open field cultivation
- Yield: High
- Fruit weight: 240g
- Suitable for both indoor and open field production
- Resistances: PVY: 0,1,1.2/ Tm: 0-2/ Xcv: 1-3 Lt\
- Package size: 100 Seeds
See more: Hed jet sweet pepper.
20. Solanor F1 Bell Sweet Pepper
Solanor F1 is an excellent open field or net-house green to yellow hybrid pepper. It has a compact plant with exceptionally leaf cover and an early concentrated fruit set. Solanar F1 fruits have a very bright and shining yellow colour. It has thick flesh and long shelf life.
Characteristics And Advantages Of Solanor F1 Bell Pepper
- Uniform four lobes
- Outstanding fruit numbers
- Compact strong plant
- Very adaptable variety
- Very shining bright yellow fruits with sweet in taste
- Thick flesh and long shelf-life
- Possess compact plant with exceptionally good leaf cover
- Early concentrated set of fruits and high global yield
- Resistant to a wide range of diseases
- Production Slot: Open field crops and Net house
- Recommendation: 25,000 to 35,000 plants/ha on open field
See more: Solanor sweet pepper.
21. Clair F1 Pepper 1000 Seeds
is a vigorous pepper for greenhouse, net house and open field with strong plants, long shelf life. It has a blocky shape, crisp, mild flavour.
- Type: Blocky for greenhouse, net house and open field
- Density: 10,250 per acre
- Maturity: 65-75 days
- Fruit Length: 10 cm
- Diameter: 9 cm
- Size: 90-100 mm diameter
- Colour: Dark green to red
- Height: Upright Yields: 18 tons/acre
- Resistances: Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, Bacteria Spot, Tobacco Etch Virus,
- Package Size : 1000 seeds
See more: Clair f1 pepper seeds.
Know more: https://farmsquare.ng/pepper-farming/
All information is based on cultivation in tropical conditions